Generally, you must want all the online users to access your site no matter who they are, where they are living and how old they are. However, in some cases, you may hope to set up an age verification system that only allows a portion of readers to access your site based on a specific age range.
Due to this, we have showcased the guidance about how to set up WordPress age verification. Note that we strive for a quick solution for the building of this system, so we recommend the utilization of the Age Verify plugin instead of some complicated coding stuffs.
Why Set Up Such A Verification System
In fact, this practice is mainly due to the social and moral obligations for children. If you cannot make sure that all your contents are suitable for kids or teenagers, you’d better set up the age verification to prevent them accessing your site totally, especially when your site is about beer, spirits, wine, tobacco, adult and marijuana.
In addition, some webmasters may start the age verification to better target their readers. For instance, if your site is mainly about the information of maternal and child products, your main readers must be people who are older than 25 on average, being able to give birth to a baby. As for those who are younger than 25, they can be hardly interested in your content, thus may leave your site immediately without further browsing.
In this case, having such a system allows you to block those people who have no interests on your site from checking your content. This simply reduces the bounce rate greatly.
Set Up WordPress Age Verification
As for the setting up of this system, you can take advantage of the Age Verify plugin – the most widely used WordPress plugin for the establishment of age verification.
Upon the installation of it, you can click the Age Verify button from the Settings tab. Here, you can configure the following settings.
- You can decide to apply the system to the whole site or to some special contents.
- The system can be valid to all the readers or registered visitors only.
- You can determine the valid age for accessing the site and the frequency for the verification.
- If you have the registration system, you can require people to confirm their ages before registering your site.
- You can decide the overlay heading and the overlay description for the verification system. Personally speaking, the default settings are proper.
- In order to verify the ages, you can choose to use the confirm check box, dropdown box or input box.
- By default, the automatic styling for the age verification box is of white color for the overlay and gray color for the background, but you can change the color settings as you want.
The above-mentioned plugin is named as Age Verify, with the blank space between these two words. In fact, there is another similar plugin named as AgeVerify, with which you can also set up the verification box. Here, we’d like to present its pros and cons as compared with Age Verify, thus you can choose one that meets your needs the best.
- Pros – AgeVerify has 18 templates for the verification box, being categorized into multiple groups so that you can pick one that suits your content the most. Besides, in addition to English, it also supports another 4 languages including French, German, Spanish and Czech.
- Cons – AgeVerify only allows 3 age settings – 18, 19 and 21. Also, it only allows the input box and the confirm check box for readers to verify ages.