Drupal is a powerful blogging tool that is designed to help people set up a wide range of websites within a short period of time, from personal blogs to large business sites. The clean coding makes all the Drupal powered websites SEO friendly, but you still need to further configure the site for search engines.
To be ranked highly in the searching result page has become more and more difficult, for the ranking algorithm is changed constantly and many webmasters tend to adopt the short-term Black SEO. To help our readers surpass their competitors on the ranking page and maximize return on the investment of their Drupal sites, we have come out some useful tips helping you optimize Drupal websites for better SEO with ease.
Utilize Drupal SEO Modules
This is one of the most effective ways for search engine optimization. You only need to download and install the related modules on you website from Drupal.org or some other third parties, activate it and configure the settings based on your needs, then your website can be crawled and indexed by searching spiders easily, resulting in a relatively higher ranking.
Top three of the essential Drupal SEO modules are as following:
- SEO Checklist – It checks your website for search engines and provides you with a long list of to-do works for SEO, including the needed modules and configuring measures.
- Pathauto – This tool is designed to optimize the URLs for both search engines and visitors. It generates SEO friendly URLs or path aliases for all the contents residing on your site, helping people and search robots track your site with ease.
- SEO Compliance Checker – It checks your website for search engine optimization every time you create or modify a node, and gives you feedback on the SEO-friendliness of that particular node.
Set Up a Sitemap
As the name suggests, sitemap can be regarded as the road sign of your website helping searching robot crawl the content easily. Generally, when a website gets more and more popular, many webmasters are likely to add more pages, categories, and archives to enrich the site, resulting is a relatively more complicated navigation system. In this case, with a sitemap integrated is pretty important as it can help search engines visit your site intelligently and keep the results up to date.
There are a lot of related modules available, among which XML Sitemap is most powerful and user-friendly one.
The above mentioned methods are used to optimize the whole site in a macroscopic way. Now you need to carry out a detailed process for on-page optimization that includes the factor of the page title, keyword utilization, site name, URL, Meta tags, headings, and many more.
- Page Title – It is a line of text summarizing what the webpage is talking about. In the SEO world, page title is among the most important factors that need to be highly optimized, for it is used on SEPRs and can enhance your ranking greatly. To configure it easily, there is a powerful module called Page Title available.
- Keyword Utilization – This includes keyword placement and density. Keywords need to be placed at the page title, post title, URL, Meta tag, and many other crucial places. In addition, no keywords can hardly attract searching spiders and too many keywords might lead to search engine penalties.
- Site Name – The name of your website can not be decided randomly. Instead, you’d better do some online investigations to determine a site name that is likely to be searched by people online and can summarize your main point comprehensively.
- URLs – By default, the URLs of Drupal websites are dynamic, meaning that some of them may not search engine preferred featuring some strange characters. Thus, you need to optimize your URLs for a clean format through www.domain/admin/settings/clean-urls, and include related keywords as well.
- Meta Tag – As a piece of simple text, it is placed in the header of your site to tell search engines the main point of your contents. It cannot be seen in the posts by visitors, but can tell searching spiders the relevancy between your site and searching queries clearly.
Configure Drupal Robots.txt File
Locating at the root level of your website, the robots.txt file is important for a clean site crawl as it tells spiders the overall situation of your site for better and easier browsing. With this file, you can make some configurations with the simple lines of code for better SEO. Note that before editing, you’d better make a backup of that file to avoid some unexpected situations.
As images may hinder the process of website crawling, many webmasters don’t want it to show up when spiders are working on the site. In this case, you can add the following lines of code within the robots.txt file.
You can simplify this by locating all the files at /files/users/images/ directory, and add the code as following.
Other Commonly Used SEO Methods
In addition to the above mentioned measures, there are also some other simple but useful methods that are recommended by many SEO experts.
- Join Social Networking – As social network platforms has become more and more popular among Internet users, you’d better join these media to attract readers and enhance the online active degree of your site. Google Plus, particular, is a great social medium helping you rank well in Google search engine.
- Come out Great Content – No matter how large your site is, the textual content is the core ingredient. As the main search engines have included the post length, keyword density, and content originality into the ranking algorithm, creating the quality website articles is crucial.
- Pay Attention to Speed – The page loading speed is of great relevance to SEO, for search engines generally place the fast-speed websites at the top of the search result pages.