When choosing between NameCheap and HostGator, many webmasters, especially newbies may feel headache. After all, both of these two web hosts are experienced that have been in this industry for tens of years, offering quality hosting service for a large number of customers.
In this case, we have made a NameCheap vs HostGator comparison as below, comparing their cost-effectiveness, hosting performance, uptime and technical support in detail.
Hosting Charge Comparison – NameCheap Wins
HostGator has three web hosting plans that are initially charged at $4.95/mo, $7.95/mo and $12.95/mo. But now, with the release of coupon code EUNGE30OFF, you can enjoy a 30% discount and purchase starting at $3.46/mo effectively.
As for NameCheap, this web host only charges you at $9.88/yr, namely $0.82/mo. This cheap price is only valid for the first year of registration. After that, the price will renew at the regular rate of $38.88/mo, namely $3.24/mo. Even the renewal charging of NameCheap is cheaper than the discounted price of HostGator.
|Plan In Review||Hatchling||Value|
Hosting Features Comparison – Both Win
Both of these two web hosts offer all the necessary hosting features, including plenty of server resources, multiple websites allowed on one hosting account, enough email storage and FTP accounts, cPanel control panel, 1-click script installer, free daily backups, phpMyAdmin, PHP 5.X.X, MySQL 5.X.X, CGI, Perl, Ruby on Rails, Cron Jobs, SSH, SSI, CloudFlare CDN and many more.
However, NameCheap slightly falls behind HostGator in terms of the free extras, such as free advertising voucher for Google AdWords and Bing, and the free website templates.
Besides, HostGator allows 45 days for money back while NameCheap only allows 14 days.
Hosting Reliability – HostGator Wins
In fact, both HostGator and NameCheap claims to guarantee at least 99.9% uptime for all the hosted websites. To figure out whether the promise can come into true, we have carried out the uptime monitoring with them, using two identical blog sites and Uptime Robot.
After 6 months of uninterrupted monitoring, HostGator achieves a 99.99% uptime while NameCheap achieves 99.93%. Both have kept their promise, but obviously, HostGator is more reliable.
Hosting Performance – HostGator Wins
Besides the uptime testing, we also have started a performance testing to compare the page loading speed of these two web hosts. Based on the final result, HostGator is absolutely the faster option.
This is because HostGator pays much attention to the hosting speed. It utilizes the DELL branded web servers, each of which is carefully configured for the full redundancy from the power supply to the high-speed SAN.
In addition, this hosting provider has more than one data center to house all of these robust servers. Each data center comes with the advanced technologies for guaranteeing the proper running of server machines. Check the details as below.
- The CyrusOne data center is located in Houston that comes with around 300,000 sq.ft. The infrastructure of this data center is highly redundant, coming with power backup and distribution units, Detroit generators, CRAH units and EPAK chillers. To avoid fire and water, the raised floor design is available. In addition, this server space is staffed all the times for constant facility monitoring.
- The Ace data center is around 8,500 sq.ft, improving the effectiveness of electricity usage to a large degree. To ensure a high level of redundancy, the power of this data center is fed via different essential paths. In addition, the advanced heat detection and smoke scanner are available for fire prevention. As for the aspect of facility security, this data center is equipped with the CCTV monitoring, mantraps, risk-free entrances and biometric locking system.
Besides, you are allowed to activate the CloudFlare CDN service optionally, routing your website data through an addition of 23 data centers all over the world. This greatly shortens the physical distance between your content and your readers, increasing the speed of webpage loading significantly.
Technical Support – HostGator Wins
Both HostGator and NameCheap allow you to ask for help 24/7 via live chat, phone call and ticket system. However, HostGator allows more conveniences as it directly places the live chat button and the hotline number on every main page of its official site. As for NameCheap, you can only get the contact information from the support page.
Besides, as we have opened a ticket with them respectively to inquire the information of domain transfer, HostGator responds us in 3 minutes while NameCheap replies us in 15 minutes.
Knowledge Base – Both Win
There are two large knowledge bases set up by these two web hosts respectively, with which you can learn from plenty of useful tutorials, tips and beginner’s guide to the aspects of the control panel, account upgrade, email service, domain, SSL, website design, affiliates and many more.
From the knowledge base of HostGator, you can not only check the textual contents, but also some video tutorials for the vivid guidance. In addition, there is a Blog area available, from which you can check a lot of useful tricks about how to set up, run, manage and promote your website in an effective manner. Even, if you want to learn from some experienced webmasters and communicate with them, you can join the active HostGator Forum section.
With NameCheap, you can also start the self-learning with much ease by checking their exclusive knowledge base. In addition, this web host shows an obvious Q&A section for the commonly asked questions and their corresponding answers.
Summary – NameCheap vs HostGator
Now, let’s sum up the above-mentioned information to give you a more detailed and vivid impression of these two web hosts.
NameCheap Wins Over HostGator
- NameCheap offers a cheaper hosting price than HostGator
- NameCheap offers a better domain name registration service than HostGator
- NameCheap has a large community and offers more video tutorials than HostGator, which is better for newbies
HostGator Wins Over NameCheap
- HostGator achieves a better uptime track record and a faster page loading speed than NameCheap.
- HostGator offers a more responsive and convenient technical support than NameCheap.
- HostGator allows a longer money back guarantee, giving a better sense of risk-free than NameCheap.
- HostGator allows multiple billing circles while NameCheap only allows the 1-year billing.
Obviously, HostGator wins more games. Therefore, if you are looking for a reliable, fast and professional web host between these two web hosts, HostGator is the better option.