When it comes to the budget web hosting solutions, DreamHost and iPage are the top options for you to consider. Both of these two companies are experienced hosting providers who strive for offering the top-notch hosting services with unmatched reliability and affordability. Therefore, when choosing between them, many webmasters may feel hard to determine.
In the following, we have made a DreamHost vs iPage comparison that tells you which of them is the better option. To come out the result, we have compared their prices, features, speed, reliability and the support service.
Before moving forward to the detailed information, we firstly showcase an editorial rating chart that gives you the general information about these two web hosts by checking the star rating system. The result comes from our personal experiences with their hosting solutions.
What They Are In Common
When it comes to the feature offerings, both of these two web hosts do not disappoint us. No matter you are a newbie who only requires the most basic features or a developer who needs something advanced, you can find what you want with DreamHost and iPage easily.
- Basic features – With them, you can enjoy plenty of server resources without any restrictions unless you start an over-consumption practice. Besides, the unlimited domain hosting and email storage are allowed for each hosting account.
- Useful tools – Both of these web hosts offer the powerful control panel that is self-developed, 1-click installer for the installation of hundreds of scripts and the free site builder to have your site online within minutes.
- Geek features – PHP and MySQL are allowed with the latest version. Some popular advanced features including Perl, SSI, Ruby on Rails are included into the packages.
- Free extras – Both of them offer a free domain name and hundreds of credits for advertising.
Besides, they all have done a great job when it comes to the hosting reliability. The result comes from our real-world testing using two identical sample sites for more than half a year.
According to the result, the sample site hosted by DreamHost is 99.92% online and the site hosted by iPage is 99.95% online. Check the following charts of their uptime statistics for the past 30 days.
In fact, the great result is due to their utilization of quality web servers and multiple advanced data centers.
All the server machines are of robust components and the best specifications, which can store, deliver and process your website with unmatched speed, stability and security.
Besides, by partnering with the advanced IDC companies, these two web hosts have multiple fully-equipped data centers that can guarantee an uninterrupted running of servers to serve your site all the times.
How Can DreamHost Win Over iPage
DreamHost edges over iPage for some minor aspects that are listed in the following.
- DreamHost allows a 97-day money back guarantee while iPage only allows 30 days.
- The free domain offered by DreamHost is valid for the whole life while that of iPage is only valid for the first year of registration.
- DreamHost offers the domain privacy service for free while iPage charges you $9.99 each year.
- There are some geek features that DreamHost offers but iPage lacks, including Python, CGI, SSH, SVN and IPv6 support, etc.
How Can iPage Win Over DreamHost
iPage does a better job than DreamHost mainly in three aspects, which are the satisfactory server response speed, cost-effectiveness of hosting solution and more channels for the technical support.
Faster Hosting Speed
As for the hosting performance, iPage is faster than DreamHost. According to our testing result, our sample site hosted with them requires 559 ms to respond the server requests.
What contribute to the satisfactory hosting performance not only include its quality servers and data centers, but also include their utilization of SSD to benefit the page loading speed. The solid state drives work better than the common hard drives with less latency. With it, your website can perform better with faster content caching and database queries.
As for DreamHost, they achieve a more than 1000 ms server response speed for our tested site.
More Cost-Effective Hosting Solution
iPage is undoubtedly cheaper than DreamHost. This web host constantly offers a default promotional campaign via this promotion link, with which you can enjoy its services at the price of $1.99/mo only, no matter which billing circle you choose.
As for DreamHost, they charge you starting at $8.95/mo regularly. But now, they launch a promotional campaign with a 34% discount, reducing the hosting charge down to $5.95/mo.
In fact, besides the affordable charge, this web host also offers more free extras than the offerings of DreamHost.
- Both of these two web hosts offer $100 for Google AdWords, but iPage also offers another $100 for Bing ad credits and the free listing chance on Yellow Pages.
- Each new customer can get 1 GB Cloud Storage for free.
- iPage provides the Security Suite for free to better safeguard your site.
More Support Channels
Both DreamHost and iPage offers the 24/7 support service via live chat, email and ticket system. Backed by a group of professional support staffs, you can ask any question at any time and get the response within the shortest time.
However, the difference is that iPage also offers the phone support that is useful for webmasters looking for some instant resolutions. If you want to get this effective support with DreamHost, you need to pay $14.95/mo for the Premium Support.
Summary – Which One to Choose
According to this comparison, both DreamHost and iPage offer rich features with reliable services. However, when it comes to the price, page loading speed and support service, you’d better go with iPage.