In order to check out whether 1and1 is a perfect hosting option, our editors have started a 1and1 review based on its price, PHP compatibility, features, hosting performance and technical support, and then taken out an answer for readers to refer.
The company has been in the web hosting business since 1988, and now has thousands of customers, and manages a large number of domains.
Plans & Price
1and1 provides customers with flexible web hosting packages, which named as Basic, Unlimited, and Advanced. All of them have different price and features. Thus, people can choose different plans as they need. However, according to our review of the 3 packages, none of them is really cost-effective with a combination of affordable rate and rich features.
- Basic – The cheapest package offered by 1and1, which is priced starting at $1.99/mo. It is noticeable that this cheap rate is only available for the initial purchase with 3 years billing circle. In terms of features, the plan comes with 100 GB web space, 1 site on 1 account, 20 MySQL databases, 100 e-mail accounts, and 100 sub-domains.
- Unlimited – This plan includes more features than the above one, such as unlimited web space, unlimited data transfer & domain hosting, and CDN. But for its price, it costs more money than Basic, which is starting at $4.99/mo.
- Advanced – This plan is the most powerful one among these 3 plans, which contains all the features included in the other 2 packages, and some advanced technologies like SPDY, App Expert Support and SSL Certificate. However, in terms of price, Advanced is really expensive that starts at$7.99/mo.
Popular Scripts Compatibility
For the sake of ensuring the proper installation and running for all the popular applications, 1and1 offers a 100% PHP compatible hosting service with the support for the following technologies:
- The latest versions of Apache, MySQL, and PHP
- 1-click script installer
- 128MB PHP memory default
- PHP run as suPHP
- The mod_rewrite Apache module
In terms of hosting performance, 1and1 claims 99.9% uptime because it hosts every website simultaneously on two separate server clusters in two geographically separated data centers. Thus, once the first server is unexpectedly interrupted, the site can continue running on the second server.
As a result, this company has achieved a good uptime record, but fails to guarantee a fast page loading speed. The server response time of 1and1, which is 757ms averagely, comes from real performance testing during the last 30 days.
1and1 offers customers with a responsive support team with a group of professional staffs giving help via e-mail and hotline. All the staffs are well-trained which means they are able to resolve any problems effectively.
Besides, it is worth noting that the support methods don’t include online chat, which causes great inconvenience to non-English speakers who want instant assistance. What’s more, this company claims to offer 24/7 customer service, but the phone support is sometimes not available during some national holidays.
Better Alternatives than 1and1
Honestly, 1and1 is a reliable web hosting company, but is not the best option for setting up neither a persional blog nor a business site, because its hosting packages are not cost-effective, and cannot guarantee fast hosting speed and excellent technical support.
In addition, we’d like to introduce some web hosts that have been trusted and recommended by millions of customers – BlueHost, Arvixe and InMotion Hosting. These 3 companies are awarded as the best shared hosting providers for many webmasters and come with all of the basic features and advanced technologies. Check the below information table: